Thursday, February 19, 2009

History Will Be Made on March 7

Ladies and gentlemen, mark your calendars. On Saturday March 7, at 11:30 pm, the MLB Network will premiere it's season preview of the Pittsburgh Pirates. 60 minutes of programming, including commercials, on a national network, devoted to the Pirates. I cannot recall the last time that happened. I'm pretty sure it's been years since ESPN televised a Pirate game on their Sunday night telecast. They may have slipped one in on a Wednesday night or something, but even that I'm not sure about. Okay, WGN is a national network and they do end up showing maybe half a dozen Pirate games per year, but I'm not counting that. They're televising Cubs games, and ESPN, if they happened to show a Pirate's game in recent year, were airing the Pirate's opponent primarily. But this folks, MLB Network's Pirate themed episode of their 30 Clubs in 30 Days series, is truly historic. And yes, I did notice that the Pirate episode premieres on a Saturday night at nearly midnight. The Red Sox and Yankee episodes, for example, initially air at 8 pm on their respective dates. But I'm okay with that. I'll take our Jericho or Firefly-esque scheduling. I know the Pirates are ratings poison. But just being included is a nice enough feeling for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps, just perhaps, this program will episode will become popular when released on DVD like FF....

AJ said...

That would be remarkable. Maybe a feature film will follow. Nathan Fillion as Pirates manager John Russell? I could see that.

Google