Monday, January 14, 2008

Do Clothes Make the Man?


This past Friday was a very big day for me. I received in the mail a Freddy Sanchez jersey (pictured) which I had ordered the previous week. This is only the second Pirates jersey I have ever purchased, and the first in just over 17 years, Andy Van Slyke being the previous. I’m not sure why it’s been so long. There have certainly been some good players in that time. Brian Giles, Jason Kendall, Denny Neagle and Aramis Ramirez, to name of few. They have of course all moved on, but at one time or another, they were all deserving of having their name on the back of a $100 shirt. Maybe the dollar amount turned me off a little or maybe, though I hate to admit it, the losing soured the idea for me. Or maybe it’s just that the foolishly optimistic (and superstitious) part of me finally realized that the last time I bought a jersey, the Pirates won their division the following season (following two seasons, actually). So, maybe this is their year. Right?

[Author’s note: One year ago I bought a new Pirates hat and a new Pirates t-shirt. I remember thinking to myself “With this new hat and t-shirt, and the acquisition of Adam LaRoche, the Bucs are sure to contend this year.” As it turned out, the Pirates went 68 and 94, finishing in last place.]

Another potential reason I avoid buying jerseys is the chance that the particular player whose name is emblazoned across the back could be traded soon. Van Slyke played four more years in Pittsburgh after my original purchase, so I didn’t really have any cause for concern. But the thought always lingers. Anywho, I figured Sanchez would be a safe bet this time. He’s a great player. He’s a fan favorite. And he’s not due to become a free agent for two more years. Also, I recalled reading somewhere just after the 2007 season ended that Pirates' General Manager Neal Huntington planned to offer multi-year contract extensions to Matt Capps and Freddy Sanchez. That cinched the deal. The first week of this month, I placed my order, sat back and waited for my brand new, glorious, Pirate-for-life Freddy Sanchez jersey to arrive. Five days later, and four days before the jersey actually did arrive, I read this article on the Post-Gazette’s website. So apparently, Huntington and company plan to just sign Sanchez for this one upcoming season. And then they’ll see where it goes. I know this doesn’t mean that Sanchez will be gone after this year, but it still hurts a little. At least for now, I’ve got myself a slick jersey of the Bucs best player.

4 comments:

GldnSt8Warrior said...

Don't worry if he leaves then it's a throwback. Or you could do what this Warriors fan did. I turned my Murphy jersey into a Jackson one.

Anonymous said...

this article doesn't necessarily belong here in comments, but it is about the pirates, I don't know where else to put it, and I thought you might enjoy it. You probably already have.

AJ said...

That article fits nicely in comments. I had heard the Pirates name story but some of the others I had not. Thanks, Cub.

Anonymous said...

sanchez signed! 3 years baby!

Google