Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A little about me...

I was born in Colorado, which at that time was devoid of professional baseball teams. I moved to California in 1985 and two years later first became interested in baseball. The Oakland Athletics, in particular. My dad liked them and so did a few friends. So I joined in on the fun.

Then in 1988, I had what would best be described as the ideal first full season as a baseball fan. The local team that I rooted for had a great year. I discovered my own favorite ballplayer, Andy Van Slyke of the Pittsburgh Pirates. I attended my first pro game that year; I believe it was A’s versus Twins. I began collecting baseball cards, which brought me closer to the game. The year ended when my dad called my school and asked them if I could be let out a little early. He picked me up and then we drove to the Oakland Coliseum for game five of the World Series. The Dodgers prevailed that night to wrap up an all too brief World Series. Our A’s lost, but I had a great time.

I rooted for the Pirates on the side that year (I was still an A’s fan) and I can still remember where I was when I heard they were eliminated from the NL East race. The following year, the A’s went on to win the World Series. I was happy about that but a little part of me still mourned for the Pirates and their disappointing season. I liked the A’s, but I wanted a team to love and I felt the potential for that with the Pirates.

I bought my first baseball cap before the 1990 season. It was solid black, with a gold “P” in the front. I was ready, and so were the Pirates. What followed were three tremendous, if ultimately frustrating, seasons. After the debacle that was Game 7 in 1992, I was just as ready, just as optimistic, for the next season.

What came next, as you may know, were fifteen losing seasons. Only once, in 1997, did the Pirates legitimately compete for a postseason berth. But each spring, I was optimistic. Each spring I believed that there was hope. Maybe it was that ’97 club that warped my mind. If a team of Kevin Elster, Kevin Young and Kevin Polcovich could challenge for the division title into late September, this year’s team certainly could as well. And here in 2008, I still feel that way.

I know I live over 2000 miles from Pittsburgh. I know there are two other pro teams in my immediate area, and three others in my state. I realize that my state of birth has its own team now, and that they went to the World Series just last year. I could very easily pick a new team and no one would think any less of me. But it wouldn’t be the same. I love the Pittsburgh Pirates. And there will come a day when they win it all. And there could be nothing sweeter.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

can i choose 7th place? just kidding. if bay comes around and . . . well, the rockies were great for no good reason, why no the pirates? right?

AJ said...

All we need is for all teams in the Central Time zone to disband and then it's just down to the Bucs and the Reds. We can beat the Reds, right?

Google