Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The debut of the MLB Network

I have watched a little here and there of the new MLB network and so far, I'm fairly impressed. There really isn't a lot of news in Janaury, so there are a lot of drawn out 'Hot Stove' segments with Harold Reynolds and Joe Magrane rambling on about the Red Sox signing of Brad Penny. But they are squeezing in some 'classic' games here and there. One they aired the other day was a regular season game from April 1991 between the Cubs and Bucs. I knew if they chose to air some regular season game, there must be a good reason, so I expected going in that the home team Pirates would pull off a major comeback. (Note: though I did fervently follow the Pirates in '91, I had no recolection of this particular game) So anyway, after a couple of Pirates rallys, the game heads to the 11th inning, tied at 7. With 2 outs, the Cubs score a run. The next batter is Andre Dawson and he belts a grand slam over the right center wall. Even though I suspected from the start that the Pirates would make a spectaular comeback and win this game, my heart sank at this moment. 16 years of watching your team make good efforts or almost win games only to fold at the end will do this to you. It was also a bit pathetic that I was getting a little upset and disapointed over an 18 year old game. Anyway, (spoiler alert!) the Pirates did score 6 in the bottom of the 11th, capped off by a Don Slaught two run single. It felt great watching that happen. And it wan't all Barry Bonds or anything. It was all 9 hitters: 6 hits, 2 walks and one sacrifice fly. It was seeing a good team pulling off an impressive come-from-behind victory. It made me nostalgic.

No comments:

Google