Thursday, January 29, 2009

First Maholm, Now Hinske; Today is Officially the Most Exciting Day of this Off-Season for the Pirates!

That's right. Eric Hinske is a Pirate now. He agreed to a one year deal worth about $1.5 million, plus incentives. This moves adds a solid hitter to the Bucs' roster. He can spell the LaRoche brothers at first and third, respectively. Adam tends to start slowly, of course, and Andy might only hit well in Las Vegas. Hinske can also play some outfield, relieving a little pressure from Nyjer Morgan, Brandon Moss and Steve Pearce. I don't expect Hinske to block one of those three if they're performing well, but in case they are not, we have a viable alternative. This is a good move for the team, though it certainly means Doug Mientkiewicz will not be back. Doug was great, but Hinske is not exactly a drop-off. What he lacks in craziness/passion he makes up for in versatility and power.

I'm still hoping the Pirates do acquire another starter pitcher. Preferably Braden Looper. I think he could be had for under $5 million, which might be a fair deal. I know the team is nearing its self-imposed salary cap, but this would be worth the investment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

looks like MIL beat the Pirates to Looper. It's a shame.

AJ said...

Yeah, I saw that. It is a shame. I just don't want the Pirates to have to settle on Zach Duke or Jeff Karstens to fill out their rotation. I'm not giving up hope on those two, I just want a little more talent in there. Also, I read that Looper is 34. I thought he was a few years younger, so I don't feel quite as bad.

Google