Thursday, April 2, 2009

Pirates Clinch Winning Record (in spring training)

With their 6-5 come-from-behind win today over the Reds, the Pittsburgh Pirates have clinched a winning record for the 2009 Grapefuit League season. This is the Pirates' first winning Spring season since 2005, a year in which they would go on to win 67 games and finish last in the National League Central during the regular season. Honestly, I can't say that I have any memories of that Spring for the Pirates, so I don't recall if I had any feelings of optimism then, though I kind of do now. I know the Pirates don't have the talent to compete just yet, but I'm optimistic that the right pieces are getting in place and the current management team knows what they're doing. 67 wins could be in order again this year, but, with a little luck, they could win 77 next year. And that might just be good enough for 4th place. Go Bucs!

No comments:

Google